Mckenzie with "My Sister" and Mom

Mckenzie with "My Sister" and Mom
It's MY birthday!!! I'm IT!!!!

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Meme's Memories

This morning I was thinking about my trip to Rifle the night Mckenzie was killed. I had a call from Faither. She was beside herself. The "babysitter" had called. Mckenzie was in trouble. Faither didn't have any answers for me. She was going to call you-know-who and see what the **** was going on. I waited and paced. I called **** to see for myself. What a mess that night was. What a LONG ride to Rifle. I even had to waite because there was a house fire and they had closed the road!!! I got special permission to drive through after explaining the situation. By this time I had got a call telling me that Mckenzie's heart was finally started. A new set of emotions, from elation to fear and sadness. It had been a LONG time and I realized that the Mckenzie I knew wasn't ever coming back - realized it even then. I just missed Faither by a few minutes when I got to the hospital in Rifle. Mckenzie's grandma, Patty, was there, with Shaelyn and *** and ***'s mother. Funny, I had done a lot of praying on my trip there. Prayed for a lot of stuff, including that I wouldn't start smoking over this, as I had quit for some time and didn't want to dishonor Mckenzie by using that crutch again. Patty was smoking and as I came up to them I commented that I thought I would start smoking. Shaelyn loudly said "No Meme!!!! PLEASE don't smoke". I didn't and I haven't. Patty was so GREAT. I will ALWAYS be grateful that she waited for me. She made sure that we went to the Children's Hospital in Denver together (we each drove our truck but followed one another and Patty let Shaelyn ride with me). Even in this tremendous loss and grief Patty was putting me ahead of her, and that's her spirit of things. There are so many memories, but that was mine this morning. It reminded me that I have a Heavenly Father looking out for me, that there are great and generous people still in the world, and that my precious Shaelyn is an inspiration to me and to all of us.

No comments: